Written by Elsie Velazquez Cert. Personal Trainer
I don’t know about you, but I’ve had a very committed relationship with sugar most of my life. I’ve tried to break up many times but I find myself missing it and accept it right back into my life. During our break-ups I only remember the good times and forget about the negative aspects of the relationship. I know it is not good for me but I just find it so hard to walk away. I’m sure most people can relate. That is why I am going to point out 10 reasons why you should break up with sugar for good!
Before I go into the 10 reasons, I want to point out that sugar consumption is an addiction! Research shows that you can actually get hooked on sugar and that it stimulates the same pleasure centers of the brain as cocaine or heroin. Just like those hard-core drugs, getting off sugar leads to withdrawal and cravings, requiring an actual detox process to wean off. (Read How to Do A Sugar Detox Without Going Crazy here.)
Here are ten reasons why you should really consider ending your relationship with sugar:
- Consuming sugar creates a vicious cycle of intense cravings. Unless you end the cycle you will experience loss of control, cravings, and increase tolerance to sugar which will require higher amounts to satisfy your cravings.
- It impairs memory and learning skills. Insulin levels in the brain are lowered as a result of excess sugar consumption. This decrease in insulin impairs cognition.
- It may contribute to depression and anxiety. This is most commonly known as the “crash” after eating sugar. Blood sugar levels spike after consuming sugar and then plummet causing irritability, mood swings, brain fog and fatigue.
- Added sugar contains NO essential nutrients. Simple enough…why even add it?!
- Increases risk of Type II diabetes. When our cells become resistant to the effects of insulin, our pancreas makes more of it. Eventually the pancreas cannot keep up and type II diabetes is the result.
- Sugar leads to obesity. In all age groups the over-consumption of sugar has been proven to lead to obesity. In children, the risk increases!
- Raises cholesterol and gives heart disease. Evidence shows that large amounts of sugar raises triglycerides, raises blood glucose and insulin levels and increases abdominal fat. All of these are risk factors for heart disease.
- Disrupts kidney function. Think of the pain of passing a kidney stone or the discomfort of a urinary tract infection and you will see why this fact is worth mentioning.
- It deactivates your immune system. Too much sugar deactivates your T-cells. T-cells are the components in the blood that fight bacterial infections. If you find yourself getting sick a lot during cold and flu season, examine your sugar consumption.
- DO WE REALLY NEED ONE MORE REASON? Ok…here it is…sugar causes tooth decay and cavities. For the sake of your teeth…eliminate excess sugar.
Feel free to contact Prescription Fitness if you need help starting your sugar detox program!